If It Please the Court Demo
Seduce and surveil your way through pre-revolutionary France! Recruited from the slums of Paris into the Secret du Roi, Louis XV’s league of covert emissaries, you now have the power to change your life — and tip an unstable country towards its transformation. It’s one thing to lie for a living, but love demands honesty, and women all over Versailles threaten to lure in your heart. Will it be the spymistress with a lifetime of secrets, the poet languishing in the shadow of the Queen, or the double agent haunting your every move? No matter who you pursue, you’ll have to survive your rival’s hostile ambitions, and see that the crown doesn’t crush yours.
If It Please the Court is a 210,000 word interactive novel by D.E. Chaudron. It’s entirely text-based, without graphics or sound effects, and fueled by the vast, unstoppable power of your imagination.
- Where genre meets gender: play as a trans, nonbinary, or cis woman.
- Experience sapphic romance in the 1700s: play as lesbian, bi, and/or asexual.
- Generalize or specialize: hone your senses, master disguise, pen the finest letters, wield a duelist’s blade, and woo with a silver tongue.
- Empower the crown, subvert the king, or betray France to its enemies.
- Reunite your family, expose your father’s past, or sever all ties.
- Take a slow burn path for romance or cut to the chase with seduction.
- Stir a revolution among the citizenry, or fall in with the nobles.
Love and loyalty is all that will be left when this house of cards falls. Who will you protect to ensure a better future, and who will you sacrifice? When your mask falls away, will anyone trust the person underneath?
- OS: 7
- OS: 10.9
- OS: Ubuntu 12.04