The Play’s the Thing
Defeat the forces of evil with the power of your pen in this theatrical fantasy! Can you win fame as a playwright and stop a deadly curse before it brings the curtain down for good?
The Play’s the Thing is a 215,000-word interactive fantasy novel by Jo Graham and Amy Griswold. It’s entirely text-based, without graphics or sound effects, and fueled by the vast, unstoppable power of your imagination.
You’re an aspiring playwright trying to make your fortune by writing for the stage. You’ll need to decide what you want to say, figure out how to make your play a hit, and wrestle with your penny-pinching manager, skeptical director, and temperamental actors to bring your vision to life.
But as you’re waiting for your first opening night, rumors begin flying. Deadly, shadowy creatures are stalking the city’s streets. Mysterious accidents threaten your productions. It’s a curse, people whisper—but only where the city’s stern ruler, the Raven, can’t hear them. And to discover the roots of the curse, you’ll have to dig deep into secrets that the city’s nobles would prefer to see stay safely buried.
Your words have the power to inspire the Raven and their two quarreling heirs to take starring roles in saving the city, but only if your plays succeed in portraying honor, passion, or hope skillfully enough to touch hearts and change minds. Unearth secrets to break the curse, battle the shadowy creatures that stalk your theater, and stage one final play that will change the world.
- Play as male, female, or nonbinary; gay, straight, bisexual, aromantic, or asexual.
- Win popular fame, critical acclaim, or royal favor and avoid scandalous exile.
- Uncover mysterious secrets from the Raven’s past—and your own.
- Wrangle squabbling actors, a performing bear, and a malfunctioning avalanche.
- Battle dark creatures with enchantment, swordplay, or spectacular monologues.
- Assassinate the city’s tyrannical ruler, or win them over with your inspiring productions.
- Find love or lasting friendship with your actor buddy, the theater’s ascerbic director, a swashbuckling city guard, or the heir to the city .
- Use your fabulous wardrobe to play whatever role will win the day.
- OS: 7
- OS: 10.9
- OS: Ubuntu 12.04